This all-in-one dish covers all the bases in savory and delicious.
- 1 can black eyed peas and 1 can chick peas
- 3 lbs chicken, cut up
- 1 lb corned beef brisket, cut into bite sized pieces(you can use regular beef or may also subsitute with tofu, sardines, or shrimp)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp Caribbean Hot Sauce (or to taste)
- 3 scallion, finely chopped
- about 10 sprigs thyme
- 1 13 oz can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- Season chicken in a mixture of onion, scallion, garlic, wiri wiri or scotch bonnet pepper and salt that is finely chopped in a food processor or blender. There are no exact measurements, you can use as little or as much of each ingredient according to your taste.
- Place beef brisket in pot with 3 cups water cook for about 30 mins. In a separate pot over a medium fire, add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add chicken, black eyed peas, onion, garlic and thyme. If you chose to use any type of pepper, now is the time to add it. Cook chicken for 10 minutes. Add coconut milk to chicken and cook for an additional 5 mins. Add beef and 2 cups of the liquid that the beef was cooked in to the pot with the chicken. Bring to a boil, add 2 cups rice and scallion. Stir pot thoroughly, cover pot. On a low fire, cook for 25 to 30 mins. The rice should be tender and all of the liquid should be absorbed. If rice is not tender and all of the liquid is gone, add water, a little at a time and continue to cook until rice is tender.
Caribbean Hot Sauce http://caribbeanhotsauce.com/